My husband is in the doghouse tonight! I tried to be a good wife and cook dinner for him and well...all we had for meat was smoked sausage. So I thought I could make some delicious red beans and rice! My husband usually makes the red beans and THINKS he is the best red bean maker ever, but I thought I would surprise him with my amazing ability to whip up a pot myself. He usually lets them cook all night in the crock pot on low, but I know not everybody lets them cook that long. I thought that if I put them on high, that should cut the time in half. So off I go...it was three o'clock and I had three hours before dinner to let them puppies cook, right? Well....wrong red beans take four-e-vah to cook. Oh and in the meantime I realize I have NO rice to go with them. You can't have Red Beans without Rice! SO I call my nieghbor and she has none, so I call my other neighbor and he produces some for me. Yay, he saved the day. So I made the rice, some green beans(they go with everything) and some yeast rolls. We usually do corn bread with red beans, but of course I was out of the stuff for that as well. This meal was a good square one! Nothing to write home to momma about, but good enough for a Monday on the last day of the month.
So Penn made it home at sixish and surprise, surprise the beans were still as hard as a rock! We waited till 7:00PM and by then they were starting to soften a little. I just suggested we eat them anyway. People are starving all over the world and I bet they would LOVE some half cooked beans. So I fixed my plate, and Brooke's and Penn fixed his plate minus the beans. What, are you kidding me? He was not going to eat my beans!!! After about another 30 minutes, he finally went and got a couple of beans on his plate. He kept making faces and then laughing about MY beans! I was soooo mad. I finally left the table and went inside. I started to clean the kitchen and then went back outside to tell him that for HIS information HIS beans are NOT that GREAT either. In fact, they are quite pasty and lacking in juice. He laughed, thinking that was soo hilarious and said, "Yeah right, my beans are outstanding!" I was furious. He suggested I throw out the beans. WHat? Is this the same man who eats expired yogurt and really old leftovers just so it doesn't go to waste?? Was he actually suggesting that I throw away perfectly fine beans. Since he was being such a jerk...I informed him that we would have the same beans for dinner tomorrow night. That should fix him!!!
On a different note, my 2 year old is driving me a little loony with her new found language. It is kind of like pig latin, but instead she is just adding "a" to the end of every word. I am now Mommya! She will say stuff like, "Come on Teddya! Come in nowa! Mommya, did you see where I put my milka? Are you going to colora with mea? And so on and so forth!"
What is this all about? Where is this coming from? It is driving me insane! It seems as though she is digressing. Is this normal? Has it happened to anyone else? I have recently let her start watching Dora. Could it be Dora's fault?
Anyway, my husband's in the doghouse and my daughter's making me nutz!!! What am I going to do with these 2? I know, I know it could be worse!!! Don't get me wrong I am totally thankful for all of my blessings~just a little venting here! I know this little trouble in paradise will be funny tomorrow, but today its got me all fired up!
Monday, April 30, 2007
Trouble in Paradise X 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
Two words for you: Pregnancy Hormones!!! It is totally normal for 2 year olds to talk like that. Enjoy it!! It's cute!
And, tell Penn to stop complaining and start eating!
HaHaHa! I have had my supper ruined because of stupid uncooked beans, too. I had the same philosophy that you did (about higher heat=faster cooking). One thing's for sure, you will never make *that* mistake again! But watch out, Penn...she may leave your beans in the dust with her next batch. Nothing like a challenge...LOL!
As far as your little cookie; Is it an 'ah' sound or an 'ay' sound? Because Andrew says 'ah' after e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. None of my other ones have done that, and he is the only one who ever watched Dora/Diego....you may be on to something...:/
Oh my goodness. Next time just go pick some up at the Crazy Cajun on 280 and act like you made it and that'll smoke him good! haha
At our house, Sis used to add "sh" after every word. puppysh, daddysh, babysh.. it was funny. She's all grown now! :-(
One of mine did this "ah" sound but can't remember who. She will grow out of it quick enough. She is probably just experimenting.
Or maybe everyone in your house enjoys seeing you jump. ;-)
Did Penn have beans for b'fast? That would have fixed THAT!
I agree with Penny on the pregnancy hormones. I defintely went off the deep in on small little things. However, I think Penn was in the wrong with the beans. He should know by now that: "You always look beautiful!" and "Everything you cook is delicious!" Hang in there with Brooke - she is perfect!!
Post a Comment