Sunday, June 03, 2007

Grandpa and Nana Visit

This weekend Grandpa and Nana came to visit from Asheville, North Carolina. They arrived on Friday afternoon. After catching up a bit we headed over to Pizza Pro for some dinner.(They are investors in a place called Asheville Pizza Company where they have a pizza buffet, beer brewery, and play 2nd run movies for I think $2, so they like to check out other buffets.) Nana usually has a VERY small appetite, but she went back for several trips to the salad and pizza bar including~indulging quite a bit on the chocolate chip pizza. I think they're hooked.
After our feast, we decided to go for a walk at Joe Tucker Park. We brought some crackers to feed the geese and we ran into the Loosey Goosey lady! Have you ever met her? Well...she brings tons of buns from the discount bread store to feed the geese and she claims to have raised them all from little goslings. She knows how each goose is related and who's the big daddy and so on... They all looked the same to be, but what do I know?
We moved on from the geese and then saw couple of beavers swimming in the lake building a dam. Very Cool to watch!
After the beavers, we played on the playground. Even Grandpa got on the swings!
Finally, we headed to Walmart for a few things and then home.
On Saturday, Penn made banana nut muffins for everybody. (I had to bring muffins to Becky's shower, so he just made extra) I headed over to Nancy's for Becky's brunch shower. (Her shower was sooo nice and her friend made the most beautiful and delicious cakes!) When I got back from brunch, we headed out for a downtown excursion or two.
First, we went to the FBI building to get a tour of hubby's work place. The building is nice (I've been a couple of times before), but it isn't that fun to visit when you can't even see your husband's office because of it being top secret and all!
After the tour, we headed over to Jim and Nick's on 11th ave for a late lunch. Nana had never been before and we wanted her to have the cheese biscuit experience. I don't think she really cared that much about the biscuits, but she did enjoy the turkey.
Next, we drove over to The McWane Science Center and explored every inch of all 4 floors. It was pretty fun for us and the in-laws seemed to enjoy it too!
We closed the place down and headed home.
Penn wanted to make some jambalaya for dinner. He loves cooking outdoors! We all hung out on the porch. Nana had some wine and Penn had a beer. And...I even had an Odoul's just for fun! After dinner, we invited our neighbors over to join us for dessert and fellowship. I made a yummy strawberry trifle dish and we all lapped it up!
At around midnight, I had to shut it down. Brooke had not slept a wink all day and was on the verge of melting down, so I fussed at everybody and made them all go to bed!
Nana and Grandpa left early this morning before church. I really wanted them to stay for church and lunch, but they said they had to get home to feed the cats!
Hopefully, we can get over to NC to visit with them some more before the baby comes. Or...maybe we'll wait until after, so that Penn and I can go back to the Biltmore and visit the winery.(I have really been in the mood for that lately!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like good times! I haven't been to pizza pro yet... where is it?

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun! We enjoyed the pizza pro with you guys last weekend, and you are right about the chocolate chip pizza!! That stuff is yummy and hard to stop eating!!!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Glad you had a good time with Penn's parents!

Anonymous said...

Amazing that Brooke stayed awake until midnight, with no nap. She really knows how to party! Ya'll better watch out for those teenage years!