For our annual 4th of July celebration we headed for some fun in the sun. When we arrived at the pool around 10:30, the weather seemed to be a little overcast, but nothing major. The water was cold at first and then the sun started to pop out here and there and it warmed up quite a bit. Brooke is doing so well with her "swimming". She is quite the little water bug this summer and is very confident when wearing a ring. She just puts that thing on and jumps right in and kicks around everywhere.
My monster will also jump off the side with no floatation device if coaxed a little, go all the way under, and even hold her breath for a few seconds. I have tried to get her to jump off the diving board, but she says no way!
We packed a lunch and ate around noon. We played some more until 2:30ish and then headed home for a little nap. By the time we left the pool, it was pretty packed. Evidently since the sun wasn't extra bright my dear husband opted for no sunscreen and was left with quite a burn. I can't believe he did that cause he is usually such a fanatic about that sort of thing.
Anyhoo, after showers and a short nap we headed downtown to have our tradition meal of RIBS and all the fixin's at Jim and Nick's on 11th avenue. We arrived just in the nick of time (Get it Nick of time at Jim and Nick's HeHe) to be seated and then the place filled up and people had to wait goodness only knows how long to be seated.
After tons of cheese biscuits, lots of meat in our teefeeses, and four trips to the potty(you gotta love pregnant women and potty training toddlers) we were on our way.
We parked about a block from Bartow Arena and strolled over to a grassy knoll with a perfect view of the UAB Summer Band and the Man (is how Brooke refers to the Vulcan.)
We laid out our blanket and lawn chairs and started people watching. Brooke spotted a little dog and had to go and meet her. She explained to the dog and the owners that it was her half birthday! Yes, my little girl turned two and half today. Did I mention how amazing she is? After a few more trip to the potty and a short trek to the ice cream truck the concert was ready to begin.
The UAB Summer band is composed of students, alumni and their children.(Pretty much anybody that wants to sign up and can play) They practice for about 6 weeks to prepare for this concert and they do a phenomenal job. They played all of our favorite patriotic songs and even threw in a Disney medley for the kiddies. They had the "When you wish upon a star" theme first and all I could think was Jiminy Crickett, What is that song from? I even asked the guy next to me and he couldn't think of it either. Is was on the tip of my tongue, but I just couldn't get it out. I looked up up tonight. Do you know the movie?
Anyway, my all time favorite song of the night was of course "I'm Proud to be an American", buuuutttt the guy who was singing didn't sound quite like my Lee Greenwood CD and I was a little disappointed in the "symbol" player because he didn't quite hit it loud enough at the end. I love that part usually!
At 9:00PM, we turned around to face the Vulcan and watched another spectacular "Thunder on the Mountain Fireworks Extravaganza" Each year the fireworks get more and more elaborate!
What will they think of next? Brooke loved the fireworks, but said a few times, "They not going to get me, huh!" And we assured her she was completely safe.
After a short trip to the car that my husband strategically placed on the street, we jumped right on the interstate with no waiting in traffic and were home with the blink of an eye.
I must say it was quite a nice day and I am so proud to be an American!
Wednesday, July 04, 2007
Happy 4th of July!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Happy 4th of July! It sounded like a wonderful time. The picture of Brooke eating ribs was precious!
We didn't see any fireworks this year, we were just too tired! However, we did enjoy playing with you guys at the pool!! The pictures are adorable!
Post a Comment