Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A New Rolling Nest

An explanation of nesting from a pregnancy website:
The nesting instinct usually sets in around the fifth month of your pregnancy. Now some may not know what the "nesting instinct" is. This is basically the uncontrollable urge to clean your house, and generally go crazy doing all sorts of things that will prepare the 'nest' for the new member of the family.
This is a primal instinct and all the females of almost every species in the world will go through this same instinct in one way or another. It is also an old wives tale that this is one of the signs that labor is going to set in shortly. Females of the animal kingdom are all equipped with this same need. It is a primal instinct. Just as you see birds making their nests, mothers-to-be do exactly the same thing. The act of nesting puts you in control and gives a sense of accomplishment toward birth. You may become a homebody and want to retreat into the comfort of home and familiar company, like a brooding hen. The nesting urge can also be seen as a sign of the onset of labor when it occurs close to 40 weeks of pregnancy.

With that said...
I have been nesting like crazy around here! I have cleaned out closets, the garage, and the basement. (Well, I am actually in the middle of these projects) I have also given away almost 50 pairs of shoes and lots of maternity clothes that I have ~grown~ out of. Not good! And...I still have tons of work to do as we are moving the office to the guest bedroom, the guest bedroom to the basement, and Bailey's nursery to the old office. It's gonna be grueling!!!!!
But instead of tackling these projects today...We all went out for a more fun and exciting nesting project!
The ultimate in nesting~getting a new mini van! Yep! That's right, my honey came through with my mother's day gift(just a few months late) and we went to pick out our brand spankin' new 2007 Honda Odyssey today. It only had a mere 20 miles on the odometer when we drove it off the lot! It is so nice with a sparkly silver exterior and soft grey leather seating. It is FULLY stocked with all the extras I asked for and big sister REALLY LOVES the DVD player in the back. She would want to watch it all the time, but has learned really quickly that it is only for a "special treat" and long trips!
Now all I need is my new baby Bailey crying~I mean sleeping peacefully~in the back and our rolling nest will be complete!
Well, I guess I better get back to reality and get some of the other nesting projects around here completed.
Anyone up for a road trip?

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard!

We have been saving for what feels like "forever" to buy a van. Soon...my hubby says....soon. ;-)

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Love your new ride! I remember when mine was all shiny and new...now...not so much.
Nesting is such a great little perk to pregnancy. I wish it were instilled in us permanently so I could get something done around here.

Anonymous said...

It was a beautiful van! I want a ride soon!!!

If you run out of projects at your house -- you can come organize my closets. :-)

wendy's world said...

How funny! My pregnant neighbor just blogged about the same thing...Nesting! Love the van!
Drive it over the hill and come and see me!