Friday, April 25, 2008

National Arbor Day~Tour of Trees~

Today is National Arbor Day. I don't really know why I know this since it doesn't seem to be very publicized, but I do. You probably knew that Earth day was earlier in the week as it was really talked up all over the news. We do lots of "green" things around here and are trying to be more conscience of the decisions we make and how they affect our mother earth, but I will post about that later.
Today, I wanna talk about trees!
This is my Japanese Maple Tree. When we moved here I had never really seen one,(I guess they don't have them down in the bayou)so I decided that our yard here MUST have one! I went to several nurseries to find just the perfect maple, but they were all sooo expensive. I finally decided on this one from Myer's which only had one little tiny branch adorning its trunk. I strategically placed it in the ground below my bay window, so that I could enjoy it everyday when looking out. And now around 5 years later it is so big that when I look out the window it is about the ONLY thing I can see! Isn't it pretty?
And this is my Hood Pear. I like to say that I "rescued" this little beauty from being used as kindling. I was in the outdoor nursery section at Walmart in Hoover and I found it in the clearance section. It was just a little dried up stick and a root ball. It was marked $5 and I just had this overwhelming desire to get this tree and nurse it back to health. I really don't have a green thumb, but look how great it is doing now. It even started bearing fruit last spring, but of course Penn wouldn't let us eat it. He said that we have too many pesticides encircling our home. My neighbor grew some really beautiful cucumbers too last year and Penn made me throw them away. He said that the termite treatment that he has is soaking into the roots and tainting the goods. I probably would have eaten them if I wasn't pregnant with Bailey at the time. I am sure that the fruit and vegetables that aren't organic at the supermarket are just as bad. I know I'm digressing again.
Our last special tree is this Bald Cypress. Penn bought it in Louisiana during one of our visits there and hauled it all the way to Birmingham. I was pregnant with Brooke at the time and it was supposed to be the Brookie tree, but it hasn't done very well. Like I said before, I don't have a green thumb, but my hubby usually does! He has babied, and loved on, and fed this tree all kinds of stuff. He is really wanting to see a Cypress knee pop up in the yard to remind him of back home! Despite all of his efforts, the tree or its knees just won't grow! He feels so defeated.
Well, that was our tour of trees. Penn and I discussed what we would do for this Arbor Day and we have decided on two ornamental cherry trees. One for each of the girls. We are still debating on where to plant them! I want them in the front and he wants them in the back...I will update with some pics as soon as we get it/them settled.
I challenge you to plant a new tree in your yard this weekend in honor of Arbor day and when you do, I would love to see some pics!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Arbor Day has sufficiently been celebrated at my house as there is so much shade that I had to give up my dream of a garden this year. :-( Down with trees!!! (kidding)
hey, I saw Randee cut like 3 down this week! Happy Arbor Day! BEWARE!!

Anonymous said...

I think our Arbor Day was a little early this year. We planted three Weeping Yopans and a Japanese Maple a couple months ago. The Japanese Maple is my favorite. It already is full of leaves. We put it outside our dining room window. I looking forward to watching it grow.